The Third International Congress on the History of the Order of Preachers in the Americas
July 17-19th (Wednesday-Friday) 2019,
Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino, Bogotá, Colombia
Universidad del Norte Santo Tomás de Aquino, Tucumán, Argentina
Instituto Dominicano de Investigaciones Históricas, México
The University of St. Michael’s College in the University of Toronto
Brian Shanley, O.P., Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
Gabriel Pivarnik, O.P., Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
David Orique, O.P., Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
Susana Monreal, Universidad Católica de Montevideo, Uruguay
David Orique, O.P., Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A
John Vidmar, O.P., Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A
Michael Attridge, The University of St. Michael’s College in the University of Toronto, Canada
Darren Dias, O.P., The University of St. Michael’s College in the University of Toronto, Canada
Juan Sebastian Lopéz Lopéz, Universidad Santo Tomás, Bogotá, Colombia
Eduardo Gómez Bello, Universidad Santo Tomás, Bogotá, Colombia
Cynthia Folquer, O.P., Universidad del Norte Santo Tomás de Aquino, Tucumán, Argentina
Eugenio M. Torres, O.P., Instituto de Historia Dominicana de la Provincia de México
The I and II International Congresses on the History of the Order of Preachers in the Americas, in Mexico City (2013) and in Bogota (2016) respectively, created scholarly space for dialogue, reflection, and debate among researchers, professors, and academics of various disciplines about the current state of and development in the study of the history of the Dominican Order in hemispheric America.
With these first two successful international Conferences in mind, as well as in celebration of both the recent 800th anniversary of the founding of the Order of Preachers and the recent 100th anniversary of the establishment of Providence College, this third Conference (2019) proudly invites more inquiry about the Dominicans in different scenarios and historical periods in the Americas: the Order’s establishment, diffusion, and organization; its actors, institutions, and ministries; its tradition as manifested in foundations, missions, parishes, colleges, and universities; its theological and philosophical thinking; its economic activities and political participation, and its artistic expressions and cultural heritage. Scholarly panels as well as special plenary sessions by leading scholars are planned.
Call for Papers:
For the III International Congress on the History of the Order of Preachers in the Americas, organizers welcome scholarly reflections on the Dominicans (and others connected to them) that are related to contact, conquest, colonization, and conversion, or are found in theology, philosophy, law, literature, poetry, and theater among other disciplinary approaches.
Possible themes for individual or panel presentations include (but are not limited to) the following:
1) Origin of Order of Preachers and studies about Saint Dominic
2) The Order’s history, missions, preaching
3) The Order and evangelization of America
4) Dominican spirituality
5) The Order and participation in political processes
6) Dominicans and justice and peace
7)Dominicans and the intellectual life
8) Dominicans and education: primary, secondary, university
9) Daily Dominican conventual life
10) Dominican women: monasteries, apostolic congregations, and lay associations
11) Dominicans in art: painting, literature, film, photography, carton strips
12) Dominican models of holiness
13) Dominican Economic activities
14) Dominican cultural patrimony
15) Dominicans and other religious OrdersPapers in Spanish, Portuguese, and English are welcomed. Interested scholars please send an abstract 250 words (Microsoft Word, single-spaced, 12pt New Times), and the following:
*Author(s): (maximum of three) and professional title(s)
*Title of presentation, and relationship to Conference theme(s)
*University and/or other institutional affiliation
*E-mail and mailing addresses
*Short biographical note (maximum 200 words)
1) Please email paper proposals to both David Orique, O.P., Ph.D. and John Vidmar, O.P., S.T.D., at email@example.com before August 1st, 2018
2) The final polished abstract (maximum 250 words) and paper (maximum 15 pages, including notes and bibliography) is due October 15, 2018
3) Approved proposals will be announced by email on December 15, 2018
4) Conference oral presentations are limited to 20 minutes (approximate 8 double-spaced pages)
Participants in this III International Congress on the History of the Order of Preachers in the Americas at Providence College (2019) are also invited to attend the International Conference on Bartolomé de Las Casas: “Las Casas in Hemispheric American Perspective” to be held the same week from July 15-16 (Monday-Tuesday), 2019.Attendees will benefit from and can contribute to the rich combination of unique research interests afforded by these two international gatherings.