> Mission and Ministry > Chaplain and Campus Ministry > Weddings > Documents Needed for Marriage

Documents Needed for Marriage

The Office of the Chaplain must receive all of the following church documents no later than six weeks before your wedding date:

  • Pre-marriage investigation
  • Copy of Baptism certificate (must be dated within six months of the marriage)
  • Copies of First Communion and Confirmation Certificates
  • Certification that you have completed Pre-Cana instruction
  • Where applicable, necessary dispensation

The Diocese of Providence requires that these documents be provided.  Your wedding cannot take place in St. Dominic Chapel until we have received them.

You must also obtain a civil marriage license from the State of Rhode Island.  This can be done at the Providence City Hall, Records Office, 25 Dorrance Street, Providence, RI.  Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  The phone number is (401) 421-7740.

To obtain a civil marriage license, both the bride and groom must appear in person and present a birth certificate, passport, or baptismal certificate.  If applicable, divorce papers must also be presented.  No waiting period or blood test is required for a marriage license in Rhode Island.  Out-of-state clergy do not need a permit to officiate at a wedding in Rhode Island.

Please bring the civil marriage license to the wedding rehearsal. No wedding can be performed unless the marriage license is presented.